Genre

Throughout the entire semester we focused on a few genres and explored their role and meaning.

Essay was one of them and here we learned different types of essay:

1. Expository Essay
  2. Argumentative Essay

In the class we described each and what in the beginning could be confusing at the end made so much sense and gave me new tools as a writer.

Expository essay’s main goal is to inform and present some topic while argumentative essay should argue, show writer’s stance on the topic followed by the conclusion. Expository essay should stay neutral and only describe chosen topic. I thought it will be very easy assignment and I realized that it is so much easier to express my own opinions than stay neutral.

This rhetorical element is the key to connect with the audience. Wrong choice of the genre could send the information in a wrong way and confuse our audience. Some messages that we try to send to our audience are heard in a better way if we pick a right genre.

One of the tasks during our semester was to choose a topic, a thesis and deliver great research to the audience. I was not suppose to express what I think about that topic, but gather the information and present it to the reader. Best genre for this task was expository essay.

“The genre of this paper, as already mentioned, is an expository essay whose main role is to explain, illustrate or clarify chosen topic to the readers. Because not everyone is closely involved in aviation, quite the opposite, it is a rare profession especially amongst the women, this essay had to be written carefully, paying attention to all the terms and words used and giving a full explanation of each professional term“.

Another task was to argue some thesis – here the argumentative essay was the best pick.

“The genre of this paper is an argumentative essay, which main role is to inform, present the argued topic and then argue it. The writer always comes up with a thesis, which is the main argument and then picks a side on which he would stay throughout the paper. Argumentative essay should explain the topic well, that’s why it is good to first write an informative essay to explore the topic. In our class, we did the expository essay first, which showed me even more topic to argue”.