CLO 7

Compose texts that integrate your stance with appropriate sources using strategies such as summary, critical analysis, interpretation, synthesis, and argumentation.

To achieve this CLO number 7 I had to first learn how to find proper sources and how to use them in my paper.

Below you can see my notes from the class regarding building expository essay where first we have to write introductory to our topic, give the reader some basic information about it, after which we present our stance versus the other side of the argument. I think this is a great example of CLO 7 where I had to use critical analysis, interpret my sources and show my arguments.

Another example of CLO 7 used in the class is : 

Why then agree and support women who want to become a pilots, which is a typically male profession? Isn’t it scary and dangerous to let women fly? Based on cold scientific calculations, women are more likely than men cause an accident because throughout the entire history of flight women have had less opportunity to spend time in the cockpit. On the blog, “Fly with Eva”  Captain Eva shares her stories from the flight deck. In one post she tells the audience a story about a flight where one of the passengers, upon seeing her greeting other passengers said to her, “You? Pilot? You have got to be joking! This does not feel right. Tell me, do you even know the left from your right?” (Marseille 1). Those situations indicate that people don’t trust women as pilots and believe that they could cause a lot of tension or possibly an unsafe flight.  

This quote shows that I learned how to properly form and use argumentation in my paper. 

In my expository essay I wrote: 

Even though there are visible physical differences between women and men, the real reason behind the lack of women in aviation is not fully science based. Women have been facing prejudice for a long time and to this day it is a problem worth exploring. Encouraging young girls to become part of the STEM world is one of the ways to fix this ongoing issue. The technology and science world needs more experts and is evolving very fast, with women on board it will evolve even faster making this world a better place to live. 

This quote indicates that I also know how to properly use summary in my expository essay. 

Another example of me meeting the CLO #7 is:

As Mitchell, Kristovics and Vermeulen said “The aviation industry, in an attempt to encourage women to take up flying as a career, needs to address many latent issues that provide disincentives to women” (Mitchell, Kristivics, Vermeulen 55), what also shows us that possibly another reason behind absence of women pilots is the mentality of the aviation industry itself. On the bright side, there are communities of aviatrixes which its main goal is to help, engage and reward those determined women who chose this aviation path. “Women in Aviation International” is one of those organizations which provides their members with hundreds of scholarships every year helping women get their licenses and succeeding in many STEM careers.  

This indicates that I can interpret sources I decided to use in my research as well as critically analyze them.