Audience

Depending on the audience we write for, the genre, the stance, the exigence, the media and the purpose might shift or completely change. As I mentioned before, this class made me realize how strongly connected are all the rhetorical elements. We can’t and shouldn’t start writing without considering them all first because the decision we make on any of them might change the entire paper.

We had an assignment where we had to pretend we are the Apple employee that doesn’t agree with new Apple policies. The audience we picked varied and the format of our work varied as well. If we want to protest in front of our boss then we might want to use PowerPoint presentation (media). If we want to reach a lot of people- maybe an online post or a letter sent by an email would be a better fit.

My audience changed throughout the entire semester. I started from writing a letter to Professor Carr, where I hoped nobody else would read it as it was my first letter written in English. My second work, literacy narrative, even though it was written for Professor Carr and my classmates while we peer reviewed our work, it could be also read by any immigrant who lives in a foreign country, my Mother – who was a major part of my essay, and finally, because I submitted it to the writing contest, the audience expanded.

The argumentative essay had slightly difference audience as well. As I said in my reflection paper :

“I wrote this essay mainly to my classmates and Professor Danielle Carr, but I also shared it with my friends, aviatrixes, my husband (who is my biggest fan) and my family. My audience could be every single student pilot in the flight schools in Long Island, which is the only place to learn how to fly in New York City. I wish they could give them my essay as a part of theoretical training to make sure they will make aviation community a better place. I would also like to consider my audience every single STEM student at City College of New York, especially at Grove School of Engineering. The other day I was talking to my friend, Electrical Engineering student, who expressed to me how badly he felt for every single woman in STEM. He realized how hard it is and how uncomfortable it could be when facing all men at the new job, new class or when presenting to entire group of men. I wish that all the men could see it in that way and treat us equally, not only in aviation but everywhere else. My essay could help many people see the reality of discrimination. Another group of people who could read my essay are flight instructors. They are the teachers and they should give their student a lesson how not to treat female colleague at the airport”.

Writing this reflection paper made me realize that argumentative essay’s audience narrowed down from the expository essay audience. Maybe it’s because I talked about specific industry and not everyone can relate to it. Expository essay informs the audience and explores a topic while argumentative essay features a topic and argues it. I can see people who might want to read my expository essay to learn something new about aviation but they might not be interested in my argumentative essay because it’s very focused and detailed about the industry they don’t know anything about.